Thursday, October 19, 2017

Chapter 145 - You've Always Been The One Who's Stronger


They made small talk, but that's all that it was, small.  Neither one of them really wanted to talk about the elephant that was in the dead center of their communication, neither wanted to upset the other. 
The conversation was going as well as they could expect.  "When will you be done recording?  Monica asks him, not wanting to talk about the song anymore.  Monica did not want to admit that, although it hurt her, it was a beautiful song.  

"I think we're up here for a day or two more.  What's your schedule?"

Monica can't recall off the top of her head, "Um, I think Miami, Tampa and then somewhere on the shore, Panama City I think.  After Florida, we're off for a week.  I was thinking about going home.  Will you be there?"

"Come hell or high water.  Do you want me there??"  his voice turns to the tone he uses when he isn't sure what someones response might be.  It's a little whiny and questioning.

Monica nods her head even if he can't see it but she admits, "Yeah, I want you there."

"Really?"  again, with question in his tone.  

"Yes, we need to talk."

"I miss you." he admits to her, this time in his regular tone and she can hear that. 

"I miss you too Jon, but I'm still very pissed at you." 

"I know, Mon and I'm just as sorry today as I was when I did it, as when you left for Japan - maybe even more so now because I've had time to think about what I've done and how I hurt you.  Baby, I am so sorry!"

"How are the guys doing?  I know Rich doesn't like the cramped studio times.  Is Alec staying sober enough?"  another subject change because Monica won't get baited into talking about his infidelity over the phone.  

Jon takes a deep breath, "They're good.  We're in a push to put this to reel, so we can get it to press.  I'd say we're about half way done.  Alec is being good, it's Dave that has me worried.  He found a strip club close by and goes there when we're done for the day."

"DAVID?"  Monica can't believe that.  That's so out of his character.

Jon laughs, "We don't let him go alone, most times.  He and Rich really like going there.  They were eating lunch there, but management decided to have lunch brought in. We get more done when we can't leave."

"How many tracks do you have laid?"

Jon taps a pen on the table, a tactic he uses when he's trying to come up with an honest, legitimate answer.  "We have 26 recorded, now we're just narrowing down what's going on the album."

"That's enough for 2 albums, or a double album."  she says, "When did you guys find the time to write so many?"

"Several of them we've had written.  They just didn't fit on Slippery."

"How are you going to decide?  What have you picked out?"

"Your song is on there, the one I sent you and we have another one called Living In Sin.  Richie likes one called Full Moon High, Dave's pick is Born To Be My Baby and Alec likes one that's called Now and Forever.  So, that's 6 for sure."

"How many tracks are you pressing?"

Jon makes a sound of a balloon floating through the air, "12 or 13."

"So you're half done?"

"Yeah, for the most part.  A couple need to be cleaned up, vocals and harmonies - a few guitar riffs are too tight, but yeah, I'd say we're half done."

"So you can come home in a few days?" she quietly asks, not real sure what answer she wants to hear.

"Whether it's done or not, babe, I'll be there."  Monica can hear that million dollar smile taking over his face, and that makes her smile.

"So, I'll see you at home then?" Just the thought of that makes her anxious.  She hasn't seen him in weeks and she misses him, but it doesn't help with her butterflies. 

"You will."  he states.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see they are having a civil conversation for once.
    I wonder what Monica wants to discuss? I hope it's not a trial separation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see they are having a civil conversation for once.
    I wonder what Monica wants to discuss? I hope it's not a trial separation.

    ReplyDelete